Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Homemade scratch art paper

I was playing with scratch art when suddenly my curiosity hits me. I wonder how scratch art papers are made so I asked Mr. Google. 
I later learn that most of the people did this craft in primary school. but my art teacher never teach me leh. I have to learn it from Mr Google at the age of 23. :(




Materials you need:
~ Crayons of rainbow colours (neon crayon works the best)
~ Drawing paper/ cardstock
~ Black Tempera paste
~ Paint brush
~ Water colour palette

First, colour the drawing paper real hard with crayons, keeping every possible hole filled. It is advisable to use rainbow colours or any sharp colours.


Then prepare black tempera paste in a water colour palette. A tip I got from a blog - add a few drops of dish detergent to the paste so that it could be scratched off more easily later. 


Now paint the black tempera on the crayon colours.



As you can see above, 1 coat of tempera paste is not enough. You need a second coat.
Wait for the 1st coat to dry before painting the 2nd coat. 

After the 2nd coat
Wait for the 2nd coat to dry. and then you can start scratching the paper! (with toothpick or satay stick or.....)




Though the colours are not as vivid as the ready made scratch art paper available in the market, but hey, there's much more fun in producing your own scratch art paper. 
Das macht spaß! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I also was not taught leh. But I did something similar using candles. Drop the wax on the colorful crayoned paper and paint everything black then scratch the candle.

    Does that bookmark stain your book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh yea, I did that candle one in primary school also but not this scratch art. nope, the paste wouldn't come off easily and stain the book, unless u accidentally scratch it :)

    ReplyDelete